Sunday, November 2, 2008

Our first post!







Welcome to our first post on blogger! We felt it was time to share some of our biggest news, and also document all the big changes coming our way. Our intent is to keep this updated frequently, even if just short posts!!


As most of you reading this first post know, we will be a new Mom & Dad next April (mid)....this is pretty exciting for us (actually quite scary and still surreal sometimes) .... I am about 16 weeks along, so we've made it out of the "iffy" period of pregnancy! In fact, we find out the gender of Lil' Helm on Nov. 17th....OF course it can't come quickly enough. Phil thinks it's a girl, but I am not leaning one way or the other. The Chinese calendar says that due to my age and date of conception that we will have a boy....I don't know if I believe chinese calendars :)



If you believe in the old wives tale of heart beat rate, we will have a girl, as his/her heart rate has been at 168, 160 (three times) and 146. Anything above 140 is said to be a girl. So we will see!! All of these things are wives tales, and we will be happy with a healthy baby!



Phil has been great at dealing with my hormone-alness! Crying over small things and being needy isn't the best mix, but I think all of that is tapering off! I think now, I'm more emotional over not being able to fit into anything! I bought my first pair of maternity work pants yesterday from Target. I can't sit for long without having to unbutton my pants! Not cool to walk around the office like that. I'm not showing terribly much yet in my clothes...just looks like I've had a big lunch...ha!



One of the biggest experiences for us both was registering at Babies R Us. Who knew there were sooo many baby options...from cribs, strollers, bath stuff, bouncers/rockers/entertainers...I'm not even sure I know the differences between all of it yet! I bought a book called "Baby Bargains" off of Amazon (recommended to me). It's a fairly good book, and it rates everything based on safety recalls and parents' ratings. It's a decent book, but some mothers I talked to don't like it (if you're thinking ever of using it). So, back to registering.....Phil and my dad made it about two hours, and then dad ended up sitting in a rocker and Phil looked exhausted. So they left to go home and mom and I stayed about 2.5 hours talking to people about nursery furniture, car seats, etc. My head was swimming when we left. I got home and immediately changed things online from the registery. You will see that I'm insane like that :-)



The only major things we are waiting on are nursery furniture and bedding, since we don't know what we are having yet.



Note: If any mothers out there reading this want to provide advice on baby products, please do comment!! Also, any dads out there wanting to give Phil advice....game on!

Oh, the first two photos you see are the two rooms that will get a major overhaul in our house. The "blue" room is our current office, which will turn into the nursery (note: it's already blue so 50% chance it's the right color already!!) The "yellow" room is our current storage room, which will be the office...man we have a lot of work to do! Oh, and the rest of our house isn't this messy :-)


So that wraps up the first post....otherwise I will write a book. Thanks for reading! Check back soon for more about us!

3 comments:

  1. Hi guys!!!! This is really neat. I am very excited for both of you. OK... so the official Cara McLeod guess is a girl:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok - so ... I am pretty much an expert now...so - wipes warmer - waste because it always dried out more quickly than I could remember to fill it and it seemed to toughen the wipes. Use Lansinoh wipes if you can especially at first..they're awesome! Britax is my fav car seat....Get a travel system for sure! Don't really need to sanitize - just use your dishwasher....Oh - and get BPA free bottles like Born Free...USA Baby has the greatest furniture and you can catch a once a trimester sale - good deals! Ours is on it's second kid and really holds up! So ... there you go for now!!! :)

    ReplyDelete