Saturday, May 2, 2009

What we're learning as new parents....the first week.




As I type this blog, I am sitting on the couch as a very sleep-deprived new parent. Phil and I were just joking about how we are so tired that we can't even nap! Last night, I sat in bed until 2am wide awake, wondering why I wasn't up at least doing something productive...but then Samantha woke up and took care of my need to be busy :)

Phil and I have had an absolute blast getting to know Samantha and being new parents. We have been extremely lucky to have friends, neighbors and family stop by to help, bring food and listen to us obsess over the smallest things about her. We have now learned how to swaddle, change diapers without letting anything "leak", tell the difference between types of cries (food, dirty diaper, cranky/tired, etc), survive on about 3-4 hours of sleep a night, and the most important thing....learned how to love someone more than we ever thought we could.

This first week of having Samantha has really opened our eyes to being totally responsible for someone else...a little person! We find ourselves staring at her all the time, wondering how we created something so wonderful, and also wondering how her 9lb, 14oz frame fit into by belly :-) She is amazing to watch....the faces she makes when dreaming, her eyes as they focus on our face, her hands as they try to support her bottle and pacifier, her stretching, and her hiccups (which I felt in my belly up to five times a day!) . She is so sweet and is teaching us so much, and she doesn't event know it. We have received a lot of advice and read lots of books, but most of that has gone out the window, as what works for one does not necessarily work for other babies. It's really a whole new world for us to discover.

Phil has another two weeks off, which is great! He is really helping me out a lot, as I'm still recovering from surgery...He is taking care of four babies (Sam, me and our two needy doggies!)....I know he gets worn down, but he is a trooper and keeps staying positive even with the lack of sleep...I could not get through these first few weeks without him for sure. It's definitely an amazing adventure to take together.

Oh, I've included a slideshow on the left side of the Web page....I'll change this as we add new photos!

Well, I best wrap this up, as I am planning to go play with our doggies a while to show them some attention....My Mom and Dad and Aunt are coming over this afternoon and will be babysitting while Phil and I go out to dinner together. Can't wait, although I will miss Sam. Breaks are healthy. We will for sure love on her when she gets back...THIS is the best feeling in the world :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment