

Well along with a new baby comes a unique birth story...one that we wanted to share about little miss Samantha. It all started with her worried mom on April 22nd. After seeing a few signs of positive natural progression of labor, I had noticed that Sam wasn't moving much if at all for the last day or so. Being a worrier, I called the doc and ask if I should do a non-stress test (this just tests that baby's heartbeat and movement via a monitor).
My test was inconclusive a the OB office, so they sent me to the Labor and Delivery triage unit at Rex. Once there the lady told me that they would test me again and either admit or send me home. At this point I totally thought I'd be going home. Well, turns out Sam had decelerations in her heart rate, which the doc was very concerned about (her stress level)...adding to that I was over my due date ...both of those together bought me an automatic admittance into Rex Hospital.
So I called Phil at home, told him it was time....to bring the bags that had been packed for weeks, and to bring the last minute items I had listed (this is the planner in me)! I called Mom and Dad and our doggie sitters, Clay and Kristine, and told them the news. I just couldn't believe that it was time!! I got checked in the room....all the official things....and after about 45 minutes , Phil shows up hauling in all our bags...we looked like we were moving in!
After this, things moved very quickly....The doc came in and broke my water and started me on pitocin...the contractions were manageable at first, but after a while I wasn't able to talk through them....luckily I got through my IV bag of fluids, so could get an epidural after that....Wow, what great medicine!!!! From about 9:30pm -1:30am, I was feeling good...could even nap during contractions if I wanted. However, during this time not much progress was made. On top of that, Sam's heart rate was decreasing and wasn't to the doc's liking. So, the decision was made to do a C-section. I was both happy and worried at the same time....scared of the surgery, but knew Sam would be with us much sooner this way.
So off we went to the operation room....it was just like in the show "Special Delivery" that I had watched so often! There were about 8 people in the room moving me onto the table, giving my oxygen, working the pain meds, etc. It was so amazing to see how it all came together....and even more amazing that I noticed this while being extremely drugged up and nervous!! Phil had to wait outside the room until just before surgery started. The operation went well, and Phil was able to go into the side room with Sam to get photos of her...while I was "fixed up" and then sent on to recovery. The one thing that will stick in my mind was when the nurse leaned over me during the surgery and said...."you're about to become a Mom", and then she was pulled out. It was still all surreal....
My Mom and Dad drove back from Durham for the second time that night and waited for us to come into the post-pardum room...I think they were up all night like us!
So this is how Sam came into the world. On a day and manner we weren't expecting, but this made it even more better! We can't begin to explain how excited and fascinated we are by her...Phil has been such a wonderful new daddy ...he has had to take care of me (I was basically tied to the bed for 1.5 days) and the little one....He's fed her, changed her, held her, walked with her to calm her, and then helped me with all my needs on the way to recovery. On top of this, he has a final exam on Monday that he has to study for! He's the best, and has truly shown how such a wonderful hubby he is!! Sam and I are lucky to have him.
Well, that's it for now. It's taken me three different times to pull this post together due to being a new Mommy. I will post more later on all of our learning's...that warrants another post by itself :-)
Have a great day....!!!!
Also, here is a link to view video of Samantha! http://www.vimeo.com/4318539
Love, Shannon, Phil and Samantha

No comments:
Post a Comment