Tuesday, April 27, 2010

We have a toddler on our hands!!









This past weekend we hosted Samantha's 1st birthday celebration. We had about 25 people over to celebrate, including friends and family. We are so blessed to have so many that are supporting and loving Samantha. We had a great time seeing everyone and watching the kiddos that came too. We didn't know what to expect at her party as far as how Sam would be. She had just woken from a nap right before the first guest arrived, so she was not her total self yet. As more people came, she stuck close to her mommy and daddy....and just watched people.

Once her big cupcake came into view, she became a happy baby! Overall, Sam is a delicate eater...not usually messy, and in general a picky eater that plays with her food. We weren't expecting much in the way of cake throwing and smearing....a one-finger poke was my bet! Well she did surpass my bet and put her entire hand on the icing, but that was about it. No icing in her hair...just some on her face. I've attached a photo above. The BEST part was her giggle. She would touch the cake and then look over at everyone and giggle with her biggest smile. She did this a few times. I think that was the best part of the entire day. Our neighbor took video of this, but I don't have it yet. Soon, I hope!

She got quite a few gifts that day (despite our plea for no gifts - I guess it is hard to come to a 1st birthday with no gift. We are doing that exact thing in two weeks....our friends requested no gifts, and I have already purchased one! OK, I digress....). Nana (Phil's mom) got her a coupe (car) that she can sit in and push herself around using her legs/feet. She has figured out how to go backwards using her feet....so we just have to push her forward. Phil and I got her a Radio Flyer wagon. We can't wait to put it together and use it. She's really into toys with wheels now....a girl on the move! Oma and Opa (my mom and dad) bought her a sand and water play station...complete with umbrella for outside play. I'm not sure Phil and I had all of this when we were growing up...I think we may enjoy playing with the sand/water station!! Mimi and Poppy did a great thing and sent money for her college fund. It went straight into our 529 plan for her :-) My Aunt and Uncle sent two books and a "Numbers" DVD....she loves books now, so a perfect gift.

So, as of Friday, our little infant girl is now moving on to the toddler world. We are very excited for her and can't wait to see what this year brings. I can't even imagine how much we will learn about ourselves and Samantha.

On Sunday morning, another special event took place....Samantha's baptism. I can say that Phil and I were nervous (ok really just me) about how she was going to do in front of a crowd and with someone else holding her (the pastor). Turns out, she did great. She was not fussy and was actually really interested in the pastor putting his hand in the water and touching her head. Oma, Opa and Nana were in attendance and also Sara (yay, previous Neighbor) and Angela (present neighbor) were also there. Such a wonderful time.....to cap it off, the family went to Brueggers Bagels because it was close and not crowded....two important things when you have a tired and hungry toddler!

Today, we took Samantha to the doctor for her one year check-up. She had a great appointment, minus the chicken pox and MMR vaccinations. She screamed so loud and I thought she had stopped breathing, because it took her so long to scream once the initial breath went in. She turned bright red and had the facial signs that she should be screaming, but nothing came out (she was just holding her breath). When the sound did come out, it was LOUD!! We felt so bad. The good news is that they split the shots up and she now gets the second set at 15 months instead of five at the one year visit (thank goodness!)

In other news, Phil's exam is next Friday, so he is busy studying....a lot! I am enjoying a week off in between jobs...I start on May 3rd. I'm getting excited and nervous at the same time. I'm also doing the parent transition before Samantha moves up to the toddler room at day care...I spend a some time each day in her new room, so that she and I can both get used to it :) Almost every toddler walks, and she has yet to walk consistently by herself (hopefully soon!).

All-in-all, this last weekend was very special and one that we will never forget. I feel like a broken record, but time sure does fly by!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment