First, I can't believe it's February already. Time went by a lot slower it seemed when we were married and just us. It's crazy how having a child has changed that. Samantha is approaching her 10-month birthday already...it seems like yesterday that we were in the hospital as our new family. Now she is just amazing us at the person she is becoming.
She is now eating a lot more people food, and actually prefers this. We fed her cheese for the first time today, and yesterday at daycare, she had ravioli. Apparently she loved it, per the note from her teachers. She's able to try so many different foods at the Bright Horizons. We are blessed to have such a great daycare (and teachers) so close to us. They have taught her many things, and loved on her so much. The teachers tell us that she is pulling up with one hand now (she has super strong legs....maybe an athlete in the future?? A Serena Williams perhaps?? :-) She loves to crawl through tunnels and such. I'm sure all babies like to do this, we just can't believe our little girl is doing this and growing up so fast. She started out as the youngest infant in her class, and is now the oldest. In a couple of months, she will again be the youngest when she transitions to the toddler class.
She can now drink from a sippy on her own and feed herself for the most part (she can't figure out the spoon yet, and I think it would end up on the walls if she got a hold of it!). We try to feed her puffs or crackers, and she won't take them from us, as she wants us to put the food in our hand so SHE can pick it up herself. Miss Independent already, although my mom said that I was the same way (and Phil and I are like this now)...yikes....are we going to get payback or what?? :-)
We just recently bought a Sesame Street DVD, and she loves it. Forget Baby Einstein...she didn't like those. Watching Sesame Street made me think of how much I enjoyed it back when I was little..ahhh...such a simpler time. Today, we had her friend Thomas over and his mom, Beth, for a play date. Thomas is a couple of weeks older than Samantha, and they are at the same daycare. They like to play together, and we have requested that they move into the same toddler room. She already has her first friend, although she doesn't register that yet. Thomas is quite a bit larger, as you can see from the photo above. He's off the charts for percentages! It's such a fun time to watch them together. We have become friends with Beth and Ben (parents) too, which is really nice...to have kids at the same age. I am glad that Phil and I are meeting other parents through the daycare...it makes the experience a lot better.
So this weekend, we have a lot going on! I'm glad...I like to be busy (Phil not so much). Today we already had a 2-hour play date, and then we are having family time this afternoon - since Phil and I are off of work to watch Sam (daycare closed). We will go get lunch and then maybe some time at the mall, so she can see people and get her daily stimulation (a 2-hour play date is not enough :-) This evening, I'm going with one of my close friends to go see a UNC alumni basketball game (thanks for the tix Jen!!). I am excited, because I don't get out much since Phil studies a lot in the evenings and on weekends....and I rarely get to Chapel Hill! Super excited. On Saturday after Phil studies, we hope to have another parent and kid play date...double decker fun. We love hanging out with Tarek and Kelly and Ali. Their daughter is about 5 months old, so the kiddos get to play together and the parents finally get to catch up! yay!
On Sunday, we are celebrating my dad's birthday (it's actually on the 16th), so we are happy to have them come over to see Samantha and to honor my dad's big day. I always knew this in the back of my mind, but Fathers are so important to their daughters. I see this every day with Phil and Samantha, and it's such a joy to see. I know Samantha will really treasure all of their times together. Thank you, Dad, for everything you have sacrificed for and given to me. As we celebrate your birthday, know how much you mean to Phil and me and to your granddaugther. Samantha lights up each time she sees you, and so do I :-)
Happy Birthday Dad! We love you!

Had a wonderful time with the Helm Family as usual! :-) Thanks again for having us!
ReplyDelete