Monday, September 7, 2009

What do the Farmers market, rice cereal and a cook out have in common?








Not much to the unknowing eye, but to Samantha, it was a weekend of firsts! With Phil's mom in town from Texas this holiday weekend (Sam already misses you Nana!), we thought it would be fun and different to go to the Farmers market near downtown Raleigh. We went to find some good fruit and veggies, and to get a look at some of the locals. We stopped at the Farmers market restaurant first...if you've eaten here, you know that this place has good food. I am supposed to be on WW, but I conveniently put that on hold for the weekend (bad me), so that I could enjoy being flexible on where we went out to eat. Plus, you HAVE to get a pancake from the Farmers market, and that alone is probably 15 points..ha!

After navigating around the biker convention that formed in the parking lot, we made our way to the actual market area. We got side-tracked at the first tent that was full of baked goods. I couldn't pass up the blueberry tart that was staring me in the face...I mean the guy had a point...blueberries are officially out-of-season after this weekend, so naturally, I had to have one last fix. SOLD! When we went into the fruit section, I bought too many blueberries that I swore I would eat :-)

During this time, Samantha looked around at all the people and food colors all around her. She loves color and of course to people watch. I can't count how many times people stopped to talk to her (not us). One lady asked if she was a boy or girl...I mean she WAS in pink, so I was confused by the question! Alas, it made for interesting giggles and conversation after the lady left. Once we had our fill of the market, we headed to Costco to buy only two things: diapers and formula. Naturally we left with clothes for Sam, chicken, a book about cupcakes (would rather have actual cupcakes), toys for Sam, watermelon, and a bunch of other things. Note: don't take me with you to go shopping or you will spend too much :-)

Saturday evening, we had my parents over as well to have a cookout and hang outside with the mosquitoes. We had a great time at Sam's first cookout at our house...food was super and it was so much fun to see Sam outside in her bouncy seat enjoying the trees and the sounds of nature from our deck (and the 80's music blaring from my radio). After dinner, we all came in to watch "State of Play" ...very good movie. I did nap through almost all of it though, but I had been up since 5:45am...I never knew how easy it would be to fall asleep in a room full of people until after we had Sam...now I can fall asleep and not really care...taking care of an infant is hard work :-)

Also, on Saturday night after we all were full from burgers and the such, we decided to have Sam try out rice cereal. She did fantastic for her first time. I wish now that we would have video-taped the "event", as it's hard to even explain how cute she was with food all over her face, bib and hands. Towards the end, she was opening her mouth ready for the spoon. Granted all the food didn't make it to her stomach, but for her first time, we sure are proud of her! We tried again today, and she finished the entire amount, and she is really figuring out how to swallow without taking food from a bottle. She's growing up way too quickly. You have to watch her every day, because she's changing drastically right before our eyes. She also has almost figured out how to roll over...before we know it she will be crawling.

Today, she is 4 months, and 3 weeks old....amazing. Yesterday, we sat around and watched all the video taken since her birthday....It seems like just the other day she came into this world... I know in time, I may forget these details, but this is what my blog is for. I plan to print out each entry for Samantha, and put into a notebook, so that she can hopefully enjoy this many years from now. And maybe she will get a chuckle or two after reading about her Mommy and Daddy.

So cheers to a weekend of firsts for Samantha, and for a short work week ahead!

Tarek and Kelley - we are thinking of you and baby Aziz....anxiously awaiting her arrival! I vote for Sept 17th. I only missed Sam's birth date by 4 hours :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment